* Please note, due to unforeseen circumstances this contest
has now been cancelled. All entrants have had their full entry fee
refunded via Paypal as of today: 22/12/2022.
We apologise for any disappointment this may cause.
Any further entries received, after this date and up until January 23rd 2023 will be refunded.
The Crime Essays Writing Contest 2022
Thank you for your interest in our NEW annual contest for Crime, Thriller and Chiller writers. We welcome all writers, published or not.
Please read this full document before entering the contest.
The Contest & Prize Money
· This is a Crime Thriller Chiller Fiction Short Story Contest. Word count 1000 to 3000 maximum.
· Judges will be looking for stories with a twist in the tale. Something new with a fresh approach or just a well written captivating piece. Something that will keep readers hooked. Get creative and spread your writing wings.
· Submission entries will be accepted from 15th July 2022 through to closing date, midnight GMT, 23rd January 2023. Any submissions received after this time will be disqualified.
· Winners to be notified in person (email or telephone) on/or before 13th May 2023. The winners will also be announced on social and/or printed media.
· The prizes are as follows: 1st place £300, 2nd place £100, 3rd place £75, 4th to 20th place £10 per story. Prize money will be paid via PayPal.
· The 20 prize winning short stories may go onto be published in The Crime Essays 2023 Crime Anthology. With the aim of being published by September 2023.
Entry Information & Format
· The early bird entrance fee is £3 (3 GBP) per submission from 15th July 2022 to 1st December 2022, 11.59pm GMT.
After 1st December and until closing on January 23rd 11.59pm GMT the entrance fee will be £5 (5 GBP) per submission. If you pay the early bird fee, your entry must be submitted by 1st December 2022.
· Only one story per entry. You may enter the contest more than once, but each entry must be paid for and submitted separately.
· Please use a 12 or 14 pt legible font and use .doc, .docx or rtf to save the document. We will use Microsoft Word to open and format entries. Should these formats not be available to you, please email us for further advice.
· Please pay the entry fee by PayPal before submitting your entry. The PayPal address to send payment to is email@example.com
· Entries are then to be emailed as an attachment to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please include a covering email with your submission.
This email must include your: name, contact phone number (including country code if outside of UK,) title of story submitted, word count, twitter account name if you have one and your PayPal email address for prize money to be sent, should you be a winner. Please put ‘2022 Contest Submission – and your name’ on the subject line of the email. Please do not forget to attach your entry to the email.
· Do not include any personal details on the submission itself. Just the title of the piece and word count. The contest is to be judged anonymously.
· You will receive a ‘submission received’ email once your payment and entry has been verified. Should you not receive an acceptance email within 5 working days of emailing the entry, please get in touch.
Terms & Conditions
· Submission of your entry is taken as your understanding and acceptance of all listed entry information, terms & conditions on this document.
· The contest is open to writers worldwide. All nations and all nationalities.
· All entrants must be aged 18 or over.
· All submissions must be written in English.
· Submissions must be sent in .doc, .docx or rtf so they can be opened and if required edited on Microsoft programmes.
· Stories submitted MUST be your own work and a work of fiction.
· You may submit your story elsewhere and if accepted, it will still be eligible for the Crime Essays Contest 2022. Should you need to withdraw your work from the Crime Essays Contest, you may do so up until 23rd January 2023 midnight by emailing email@example.com
· Stories must not exceed 3000 words, this includes the title. Should your word count exceed 3000 words, it will be disqualified from the competition. Please do not number your pages.
· Entries will be accepted from 15th July 2022 until closing date of midnight, 23rd January 2023
· All prize money will be paid via PayPal on or before 31st May 2023.
· Once entry has been submitted, no refunds of entry fee will be given under any circumstances. If you withdraw your entry or are disqualified, there is NO refund of fees.
· In the unlikely event the contest is cancelled, all entry fees will be refunded in full.
· By submitting a story to The Crime Essays 2022 contest, the entrant acknowledges the story may be used in the anthology, may be read or broadcast in public, or may be reproduced when taking part in advertising or marketing for this or future Crime Essay anthologies and contests.
· By submitting a story to Crime Essays Contest 2022, the entrant acknowledges and agrees to no fees or royalty payments for their short story being used in: Crime Essays Anthology publication to be produced in 2023, and advertising and marketing of the publication and future advertising and marketing of Crime Essay Contests.
· Winning stories may be edited for formatting purposes of the publication.
· Copyright of work remains with the author.
· All entries will be read and judged by the editors at Crime Essays. Their decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
· Crime Essays reserves the right not to go forward and publish the anthology should there not be enough entries of suitable quality.
· Your email address will be used to update you on the contest and any future contests. Should you wish to unsubscribe from the contest emails at any time, please let us know via email.
· Any questions? Please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Find us on Twitter: @crimeessays
We promise not to share your personal information with anyone else without your permission. All data we collect is kept securely.
Collection of and When Personal Information is Used
We will only collect personal data when you submit an entry for Crime Essays Writing Competition. This will be your name, email address, contact number and PayPal email address for prize money should you win. We will only use your personal data to send you emails, submission confirmation, contact for contest results, newsletters relating to the contest, replies to any queries you have and payment of winnings. Should you be a winner in the contest, you may be contacted by us regarding The Anthology publication.
WOODFORD CURIOS ©